Five items on a deserted island.
Clarity please: what is an “item”? We term a pair of trousers as an item of clothing; would a full outfit utilise my item allowance?
Is an item allowed to be a machine or is it a single component? For example, could I have a boat? Or would I have to request a sheet of treated, industrial canvas that I could use as a sail once I had constructed my raft?
Should it be something I could pack into a suitcase?
Some people tell me I think too much. I’m inclined to agree.
I will assume item means no complex machinery and that it should fit in hand luggage.
So, items would be as follows:
1. MacDaddy Swiss Army Knife – you know, the one with the built-in car jack and puncture repair kit… not that I would have a car to jack, but at least if I needed to perform some improvised field first aid, I could use the puncture repair kit to heal a wounded boar, gain its trust and eventually befriend it, then learn where it lived, and eventually slaughter its family and eat like a king. Bonus: I could also use the knife to prepare the meat and make clothing from the hide. Bear Grylls ain’t got shit on me.
2. A journal. So I can record my time there and make notes for survival. Double bonus: the Swiss Army Knife comes with a small biro. This would see me through until I manage to kill the boar family; I would then use the blood and a quill from a bird – I figure I will be there a while, I will need to let the boars live for a number of generations so I can gather enough hide to make a sail.
3. A Ray Mears survival guide…. Or maybe an SAS survival guide. Depending on my mood.
4. A harmonica, because I want to learn and would become a badass harmonicaniser if that were the only recreational activity I had. Plus music is so important for remaining sane.
5. A copy of ‘The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver’d by Pyrates.‘ Because I have never read it and would like something to read, and I reckon, with the relevant subject matter, I could even get some tips from it.
So there you have it. Totally logical choices. I win.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | soulfoodwords
- Charge your phone | Photos to inspire you
- Alone in a Deserted Island. | paperdollsletter
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Basically Beyond Basic
- Five Items | Geek Ergo Sum
- 5 Items | Jab and Cross followed by Cross and Stitch
- Five Items | Insanitree
- Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Undeniable | Active Army Wife
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Joanne Lynn
- What Five Things Would You Not Want? (This Prompt Is Stupid) | The Jittery Goat
- The simple bare necessities of life | RPMAS
- Necessities | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Five Items « cognitive reflection
- 5 Elements of Baking | A Crazy Chef
- Daily Prompt: My Five Must Have’s | Musings&Rants
- Desert Island Day Dreaming | Eyes to Heart
- CAstaway – True Story | crookedeyebrows
- My Desert Island Necessities | Evelinasec’s Blog
- Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Musical Foodie Love
- Media to Survive? | Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Five Items – Really?
- Daily Prompt: Queen of the Island | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt : Five Items.. A HELP SIGN ? | LoudThoughtsVoicedOut
- Daily prompt: Five things | ferwam
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Finding Life
- Deserted Island? Yes please! | Not a Punk Rocker
- The Lurker’s List | Necessities On A Deserted Island
- NEEDS VERSUS WANTS? | Emotional Fitness
- DP Challenge: Five Must Have Items (Smoke Monster Ball Puncher is a Must!) « Morning Pages
- Five Items | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Memory Bank of the Nocturnal
- The Bear Necessities… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Five Items » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Wordz on a Page
- Castaway |
- Passport to Life | Upstairs Productions
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Awl and Scribe
- Five Items | Finale to an Entrance
- Natural Selection | bronte’s world
- DAILY PROMPT: PACKING FOR THE ISLAND – A PERFECT WORLD | SERENDIPITY
- The Courage to Start | The Land Slide Photography
- Take A Trip With Me! Please? | Mountains or Molehills
- Bring me home | Life is great
- Take five. | Hope* the happy hugger
- Lost at Sea | The Joyful Soul